General Audition Information
Auditions: Tuesday, March 7, by appointment only at 7pm
Please fill in the webform below, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-874-7554 to make an appointment. You will receive a confirmation email shortly. If you need to cancel your appointment, please email email@example.com or call 888-875-7554.
- Audition Location: Unity Somerville, 6 William St, Somerville, MA 02144
- Audition Sides: Please review the character descriptions and audition sides (PDF) before your audition.
Those interested in the role of Dr. Martha Livingstone, please prepare a 1-minute monologue which directly addresses the audience.
Those interested in the role of Sister Agnes, please prepare a short song in the classical or early music style, plainchant preferred.
- Audition Form: Please fill out the audition form (PDF) and bring it with you. Resumes and headshots may be attached to your form, but are not required. Additional copies of the audition form will be available at auditions.
- Audition Format: When your audition time arrives, you will be called into the hall with the other members of your audition group. Please take a seat. The directors will introduce themselves and then assign you sides for cold readings. You will have a few minutes to look over the sides before being called to perform them. The directors may stop you during the scene to re-direct—this is not an indication that what you are doing is wrong, simply that she is giving you the opportunity to show her something more. Most actors will read two scenes. Every attempt will be made to let you read for parts of specific interest, as noted on your audition sheet. We understand that auditions are nerve-wracking—we want you to relax, have fun, and have every opportunity to show us what you can do.
- Notification: You will be notified, one way or another, by Saturday, March 11th, at 5pm. If you have given us an email address, we will use that to notify you. If not, we will call you at the number you have provided. Please make sure that your contact information is legible. If you have not heard from us by that time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Show
Agnes of God
by John Pielmeier
directed by J. Deschene
A novice, Sister Agnes, is charged with strangling her newborn baby, but has no recollection of the conception or birth. Enter Dr. Martha Livingstone, a psychiatrist who must determine whether or not Agnes is fit to stand trial, and a woman with her own prejudices against the church. Standing in her way is Mother Miriam Ruth, who is fiercely protective of Agnes for her own mysterious reasons. These three women embark on a journey through faith, doubt, need and miracles that will leave each of them changed forever.
About the Director
J. Deschene is delighted to return to Theatre@First where, previously, her turn as Lady Bracknell in Theatre@First's The Importance of Being Earnest earned her an ArtsImpulse Theatre Award Nomination. Other onstage roles with T@F have included Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Pride & Prejudice, Greta in Bent, and George Bernard Shaw in Shake vs. Shav, part of Festival@First 7: Shaken Up Shakespeare. Her directorial credits include Trojan Women and Lysistrata.
The One and Only Performance will be held Thursday, April 6th, at Unity Somerville, 6 William Street, Somerville MA 02144.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals will generally take place in Davis Square on weeknights 7-10 pm, weekend afternoons, and/or Sunday evenings 7-10 pm.
Conflicts: Please be sure to indicate all potential conflicts on the audition form. Every attempt will be made to accommodate conflicts, but once the schedule is set, it is very hard to adjust it. If you do not have your calendar available at auditions, you may email email@example.com with additional conflict information.
Mailing List: If you would prefer not to be included on our mailing list and notified of upcoming productions and auditions, please make a note on the audition form
Feedback: We try to make our auditions as smooth and pleasant as possible. If you have comments or questions regarding the process, please speak to one of our staff, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.