About the Show
Performance Info: Performances will take place at Unity Somerville in Davis Square, November 10–18, 2017.
About the Play: The Magic Fire is a memory play set in Buenos Aires in 1952. The play focuses on Lise, a young girl in a lively intellectual family of immigrants from Austria and Italy, whose common interest is opera. As an adult, Lise looks back on her childhood memories and tries to understand them in light of what she now understands was happening at the time.
General Audition Information
Auditions: Monday, August 28 & Tuesday, August 29, by appointment only (slots at 7pm, 8pm, and 9pm).
Please read all the details on the audition information sheet, and fill in the webform at the bottom of this page to make an appointment. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
If you have additional questions, need to cancel your appointment, or the webform doesn't work for you, please email email@example.com.
- Audition Location: Unity Somerville, 6 William Street, Somerville.
The performance space is not wheelchair-accessible.
Parking on William St is by permit only. General parking is available on College Ave. Please read signs carefully to avoid ticketing.
- Audition Information: For complete audition information, please read through the audition information sheet and audition sides.
- Audition Form: Please fill out both pages of the audition form and bring it with you to auditions. Additional copies will be available at auditions. Head shots and resumes are not requested.
- Audition Materials: Auditions will consist of readings from the Audition Sides. It is not necessary to prepare a monologue.
- Audition Sides: Before auditioning, please review the audition sides. Please get comfortable with them, as you may be asked to read any of them.
- Calendar: Please bring your calendar to auditions (or fill out the audition form calendar section in advance) so you can list all potential conflicts with rehearsal dates.
- The audition will contain a musical portion, in which actors will sing a popular song in a group, and participate in some simple exercises with the Musical Director. You do not need to prepare anything in advance. If you do not feel comfortable singing, you will be released at that point. Musical talent and training are NOT required.
LISE as adult. Ironic, wry. A restless woman.
OTTO BERG - Lise's father. 40s. Light Viennese accent. A quiet, gentle man.
AMALIA BERG - Lise's mother. 35-40s. Beautiful, charming, rather vague.
ELENA GUARNERI - Amalia's sister. 40s. Stunning, chic, wry, witty. A stage star.
GIANNI "JUAN" GUARNERI - Amalia & Elena's father. 70s. Light Italian accent. Big, jovial.
PAULA GUARNERI - Juan's sister. 60s. Delicate, slightly wild-eyed.
GENERAL HENRI FONTANNES - a neighbor. 40s. Handsome, charismatic, charming, troubled.
ALBERTO BARCOS - a friend of the family. 40s. An intellectual. Runs a newspaper.
NONNA GUARNERI - Juan & Paula's mother. Heavy Italian accent. Hard of hearing. Angry. NEVER CUTE.
ROSA ARRUA - the housekeeper. 40-50. Strong.
CLARA STEPANEK - Otto's aunt. 60s. Viennese accent. Careful, watchful, elegant.