About the Show
Performance Info: Performances will take place at Unity Somerville in Davis Square over two weekends in March 2018.
About the Play: R.U.R. is the classic Czech sci-fi play by Karel Čapek that coined the term "robots." Translated into English by David Wyllie and re-conceived for a modern audience by Mary Parker, our version explores the same themes of humanity, love, the value of work, and the dangers of oppression as the original, while re-imagining the more problematic aspects of a play that is almost 100 years old and very much of its time.
On a remote, secure island, Rossum's Universal Robots churns out a cheap, disposable workforce. Rossum's robots are strong, intelligent, and versatile, and more definitely not human. What could go wrong?
General Audition Information
Auditions: Monday, December 11 & Tuesday, December 12, by appointment only (slots at 7pm, 8pm, and 9pm). Callbacks (if needed) will be on Wednesday December 13.
Please read all the details on the audition information sheet (coming soon!), and fill in the webform at the bottom of this page to make an appointment. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
If you have additional questions, need to cancel your appointment, or the webform doesn't work for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Audition Location: Unity Somerville, 6 William Street, Somerville.
The performance space is not wheelchair-accessible.
Parking on William St is by permit only. General parking is available on College Ave. Please read signs carefully to avoid ticketing.
- Audition Information: For complete audition information, please read through the audition information sheet (coming soon!) and audition sides (coming soon!).
- Audition Form: Please fill out both pages of the audition form (coming soon!) and bring it with you to auditions. Additional copies will be available at auditions. Head shots and resumes are not requested.
- Audition Materials: Auditions will consist of readings from the Audition Sides (coming soon!). You may present a monologue if you like, but it is not required.
- Audition Sides: Before auditioning, please review the audition sides (coming soon!). Please get comfortable with them, as you may be asked to read any of them.
- Calendar: Please bring your calendar to auditions (or fill out the audition form calendar section in advance) so you can list all potential conflicts with rehearsal dates.
HARRIET DOMIN (female, older): Director General, Rossum’s Universal Robots. Confident, verging on arrogant. Passionate about her work. In love with Helena.
FABRY (male or female, older): Technical Director, R.U.R., taken off guard by the robots' evolution.
DR. GALL (male or female, older): Head of Physiology and Research Department, R.U.R. Takes a researcher's view of the robots, but does not believe in their consciousness until it is too late. In love with Helena.
DR. HALLEMEIER (male or female, older): Head of Institute for Robot Psychology and Behaviour, R.U.R. Loud, arrogant, denies the truth about the robots until the end.
BUSMAN (male or female, older): Commercial Director, R.U.R. One of the first to accept what is happening with the robots, and tries to bargain with them.
ALQUIST (male or female, older): Head of Construction, R.U.R. Somewhat religious, resigned to the human's fate, blames him/herself and the other scientists for the robot revolution.
HELENA GLORY (female, young): Idealistic, romantic, empathetic, impulsive. In love with Harriet.
MARIUS (male or female): Philosophical, in the end.
SULLA (female): Intelligent, has emerging emotional responses to Robot Primus.
RADIUS (male or female): The leader. Vindictive.
ROBOT PRIMUS (male): Romantic, develops feelings for Sulla.
ROBOT SECUNDUS (male or female): A follower, but self-sacrificing.