Festival @ First 11: Call for Scripts
Theatre@First seeks scripts for an evening of short plays to be performed in Somerville over two weekends in August 2020. Our reading committee will be looking for quality plays by new or established playwrights that will draw the broadest possible audience while creating a vibrant evening of theatre. Please read this entire announcement carefully to make sure that your submission adheres to our rules and guidelines.
The festival’s theme is "Myths & Legends," which can be interpreted in many different ways at each playwright’s discretion. We are hoping to see a broad and diverse set of submissions in our inbox over the next few months! Please consider this theme in the spirit of folklore, legends, fables, and ancient myths – remember, myths come from all cultures, not just the Greeks! We encourage you to explore other cultures and mythologies in your writing.
The selection committee will be looking to assemble a cohesive but diverse set of eight plays for our production. Each chosen play will have its own director and cast. All casting will be done through general auditions next June. Playwrights will not be considered for our reading committee but are welcome to apply to direct or audition if they so desire.
The deadline for submissions is March 1, 2020. This will be strictly upheld.
- Plays should be 10 minutes long (or less).
- Cast size should be 2–5 actors. Shows with larger casts and one-actor plays will not be considered.
- Theatre@First embraces diversity. Writers are encouraged to include roles for actors across a wide spectrum of race, gender expression, religion, age, body type, and ability.
- No improvisational or straight dance pieces will be considered.
- New and previously performed plays are welcome.
- Published plays are permitted, provided you hold the rights to your work.
- Plays must be royalty-free as payment will not be offered for the purchase of rights. Theatre@First was founded to provide affordable theatre to our community and to offer an artistic venue to community members wishing to volunteer their skills and talents. Playwrights will receive two free tickets to any performance.
- Our Festival will be performed on a simple stage with minimum prop and set requirements and a repertory lighting plot. Scripts with significant technical demands may be rejected on that basis.
- Submissions are limited to two per person. Please send each script in a separate email.
- Scripts will be read blindly by our committee to ensure fair considerations for all playwrights. Please submit a copy of your play without your name on it.
How to Submit Your Play
Two ways to submit:
- Fill out this Google Form. You will need a Google login, and you can upload your script to the form when you fill it out.
- Copy-and-paste the following information into an email and send your answers to email@example.com along with a copy of your script.
Do not include your name or contact information on the script itself. Scripts and playwrights will be tracked by the Festival Director and read anonymously by the selection committee.
Biography: (In 150 words or less; please tell us something about yourself and your history as a playwright, or other theatre experience.)
Number of characters: (must be between two and five)
Plot synopsis: (250 words or less)
Please attach your script to the email. We prefer Microsoft Word format. Do not include the text of the script in the body of the email.
If you are submitting two plays, please send two distinct emails (or fill out the form twice). Do not attach both scripts to the same email.
If you have any questions, please contact Stephanie Haddad, the Festival Director, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.