BareBones: Information for Directors
Theatre@First is currently accepting applications from directors interested in doing a staged reading at Theatre@First. Directors will choose their own plays. Please carefully read all of the information below before submitting, even if you have submitted a play before:
- To be considered, plays should have 2-6 actors; if there are more roles, please be prepared to explain how you will double-cast to keep the total actors to six.
- Plays should not require music, sound or lighting effects.
- Please limit your number of submissions to 1 play per director.
- Only published works will be considered for Bare Bones. Original works should be submitted to FirstWorks, our workshop program for new plays.
- In addition to filling out and submitting the form below, please e-mail a sample of at least five pages of the proposed script to email@example.com.
Please note that preference will be given to works unlikely to be produced as T@F mainstage productions, but all applications will be considered. The Program Director encourages directors to consider works of playwrights from communities under-represented in the theatrical canon. You will receive a confirmation from the Program Director, who may request additional information in order to evaluate your proposal.
Plays will be presented at Unity Somerville as staged readings, without blocking, costumes, sound or lighting beyond what is available in the hall. Theatre@First will provide space for 1 night of auditions, 1 dress rehearsal and 1 performance. Directors are encouraged to hold auditions, although invited casts are permitted. Space for additional rehearsals will be up to the individual directors. Theatre@First will also provide up to six stools and music stands for the reading. There is track lighting above the Unity stage that will be used for performances. The Program Director will help with publicity and staffing of roles such as stage manager and box office staff, as needed.
For examples of previous Bare Bones productions, please visit the Past Projects page.
If you have any questions about the submission process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for Submissions
Deadline for Submissions
March 25, 2019
April 28, 2019
May 5, 2019
May 11, 2019
June 10, 2019
July 10, 2019
July 12, 2019
August 1, 2019
August 26, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 10, 2019
September 17, 2019
October 10, 2019
October 11, 2019
If you'd like to propose a show, please fill out the following form. We recommend hovering over the form and clicking the "open in new window" button so the form is easier to fill out.